Landmannalaugar with South Coast Adventure

Landmannalaugar with South Coast Adventure

user

par Halo

|

date

le 02 Février 2024 15:38

Hello
On my tour of Island with a kia Sportage 4x4, I plan to visit Landmannalaugar with South Coast Adventure as I don’t feel confortable crossing the rivers. Did anybody have a tour with them and what is your returns
Thanks a lot
Louis
https://southadventure.is/tours/super-jeep-tours/
forum

12 réponses

|

vues

forum

Répondre

|

abuse

User

par Sebb

|

Date

le 02 Février 2024 16:31

Hi,
You don't need to cross any rivers if you come from the north (Roads 26 + F26 + 208) and leave the car before the river at Landmannalaugar campsite. There's a car park & a foot bridge for people to cross this river. I don't know when (or if) you plan to go but remember the Highlands roads/tracks are only open in summer.

|

Alert

User

par Halo

|

Date

le 02 Février 2024 18:21

Thank you for your answer. I plan to get there around june, 8th

|

Alert

User

par Tom

|

Date

le 02 Février 2024 18:35

Early June may be too soon. If it’s open, usually it’s for all. Be prepared to change your plans if snow melting is not enough done. In 2022 the opening was later than 8th of June. And sooner in 2023

|

Alert

User

par Tom

|

Date

le 02 Février 2024 18:41

23th of june for 2022 opening of the first froad for Landmannalaugar (208 north and F224)
1st of June for 2023 opening
2022 was late for almost all the highlands openings

|

Alert

User

par Tom

|

Date

le 02 Février 2024 18:44

Notice that even if you don’t pass the river crossing by staying on the parking area just before, you’look need to take F224 for nearly 5 km, thus 4x4 stay mandatory

|

Alert

User

par Halo

|

Date

le 02 Février 2024 19:35

Thanks a lot. South Coast Adventure allows to book for that date but they have super jeep

|

Alert

User

par Tom

|

Date

le 02 Février 2024 21:53

Super jeep or not if it’s closed it’s closed for them also. Thawing would destroy the road for the season

|

Alert

User

par Tom

|

Date

le 02 Février 2024 21:56

Allowing to book doesn’t mean that Landmannalaugar will be accessible. If still closed they will be obliged to cancel

|

Alert

User

par Jalo

|

Date

le 02 Février 2024 22:06

Ok Thanks, wait and see

|

Alert

User

par Halo

|

Date

le 03 Février 2024 09:42

South Coast Adventure has answered to my question: the highlands are not open to the general public until the summer, but we can go all year around, as long as conditions are good due to our modified cars.

|

Alert

User

par Tom

|

Date

le 03 Février 2024 10:42

Thawing conditions are unpredictable months before. Going there now is not a problem for an expedition with prepared vehicles. They even cross vatnajokull under good conditions, going to Landmannalaugar is much more easy.
The question wasn’t for just going there. 8th of June may be the period of snow melting and thawing. During this period no vehicle are allowed. Not even prepared ones, so long it is not dry enough. Passing is not the issue. Long term state of the FRoad is.

|

Alert

User

par Halo

|

Date

le 03 Février 2024 12:11

Thanks. We will see. If I may not, there are plenty to do

|

Alert

Répondre